General

Lucas Corve in action at the YONEX-SUNRISE Hong Kong Open (Photo: Badminton Photo)
Corvee goes down with a fight
Date: 11/14/2018 1:49 PM
Published by : Aidan Jones (BEC)
Lucas Corvee can exit the YONEX-SUNRISE Hong Kong Open with a lot of positives following a tough schedule over two days.

Corvee managed to win two qualifying matches yesterday before putting in a very good performance against Kenta Nishimoto on Day 2 of the tournament.

A fighting performance

Corvee was unfortunate in the first round against his Japanese opponent Kenta Nishimoto and lost despite a fight over three games.

The first was a tough game for the Frenchman as he lost 21-18 but not letting his opponent get away from him.

The second was a good result for the 25-year old exceeding his opponent in every department to come out on top 21-11.

The third was unlucky for Corvee, after leading in the third, class from Nishimoto showed as Corvee lost 21-17.

- I just gave him too many opportunities in the third to control the rally – and it's always going tougher for me when I was a bit too late on most of the shuttles, Lucas Corvee told badminton Europe.

- I know I can challenge some top player like Nishimoto today if I play with the right balance and consistency from start to finish, he said.

Two wins in a day in qualifying

Yesterday, Corvee, 25, was the number three seed for the qualification process, was able to beat fellow European player Toby Penty from England, to advance to the second qualification match.

The Frenchman then managed to progress to the first-round proper after winning the second match to qualify.

The match in the first round of the qualification against Penty was successful for Corvee: He won the first game 21-13, and the second one 23-21 to take the match in straight games. 

Corvee then tested himself against Sheng Xiaodong from Canada. The Frenchman came out on top over three games (16-21, 21-14, 21-14). 

- Both players that I played in qualifying are good, so I'm happy I could be through this qualification part to reach the main draw, Corvee said after his matches on Tuesday.

©badmintoneurope.com. All rights reserved.

Related news
22/02/2019
Danish Dynamite
Anders Antonsen, Viktor Axelse...

21/02/2019
- I came to Barcelona to see where I have to improve
Viktor Axelsen has reached the...

21/02/2019
- The match was not good enough
After being part of third-pla...

21/02/2019
- It is just about us getting back to 100%
Day 3 of the Barcelona Spain ...

20/02/2019
- We would love to progress to the late stages
In the Round of 32 of the Spai...

20/02/2019
Europe going well so far in Barcelona
After a day and a half of the ...

More news